Much of the timber in the cap was too far 'gone' to be reused. However, some of the ribs have been brought back to life, with splice repairs.
|Joint of cap circle segments, with track also shown|
|The whole cap circle, upside down at this stage|
Next, we made a smaller version of the cap circle, which will hold the trolley wheels. These were made of elm, which should cope with the large cutouts. Again, the segments were joined with ironmongery.
|Bearing cages overlaid on cap circle|
Once we were happy with this set-up, the cages were removed and the cap circle segments were turned over the right way, to allow us to start fitting the ribs. These were morticed individually, hopefully at the right angle so everything will come together at the top. Each rib comprises a lower and upper part, joined together to give a reverse ogee curve. The top end of the ribs fit into a rather cramped arrangement at the finial, with every other rib morticed in, and the others fitting in-between.
|A lower rib section, with splice repair, morticed into the cap circle|
|The lower part of the finial, morticed ready to receive the ribs|
Getting up to date, we have now moved onto fitting the main timbers of the cap structure. More of this to follow in my next blog entry, coming soon......